Thursday, October 3, 2013

From Thursday, September 19th, 2013 - Love Poems

As I prepare my submission for a themed issue of love poems I find myself wondering, "what qualifies as a love poem?" When I first saw this posting I figured this would be perfect, however, on further contemplation I realized that most of my poems are related to love, however they are sad. Do they count as "love poems" if they do not celebrate being in love? But then, what if I wanted to write a love poem to my coffee pot? What if I love the way it spits and gurgles? The way the black aroma sits heavy on the morning air? The way its stiffness wipes the morning dew from my eyes? Does this count as a love poem? There are all kinds of love, but I think, perhaps, the problem is not defining love, or even a love poem, but instead, the problem is trying to read the editors' minds and discover what they think a love poem ought to be. I suppose I should get back to it. I have 2 out of the 5 poems completed for my submission and just a couple more weeks to get them just right. Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment